Experienced Mac users can write the macOS Catalina Beta Installer to a USB flash drive. So very
Using the flash drive with the installer is easyformat and create disk partitions to install macOS Catalina 10.15 beta on Mac from scratch. The flash drive can also be used to upgrade MacOS to Catalina.
Below we will tell you how to write the MacOS Catalina 10.15 beta installer to a USB flash drive.
Requirements for writing macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta to a flash drive
- A USB flash drive of 16 GB or more that needs to be formatted for installer recording.
- The installer file “Install macOS 10.15 Beta.app” in the Mac program folder. To do this, you will need to download the beta profile from here.
- Mac with internet connection, and MacOS Catalina compatible.
To follow the instructions you must havecommand line skills. To create an installer from a flash drive, you will need to use the Terminal program. All commands must be entered accurately to avoid problems. If all this scares you, it is better not to proceed with the instructions.
How to write a macOS Catalina 10.15 Beta installer to a flash drive
- Plug the USB flash drive into your Mac.
- Open the Terminal program from the utility folder.
- Enter the following command, but replace “UNTITLED” with the name of your flash drive:
sudo / Applications / Install macOS 10.15 Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume / Volumes / UNTITLED && echo Catalina Boot Drive Created
- Verify that you entered the command correctly, and then press Enter / Return.
- Enter the administrator password.
- Wait until the process is completed, it will take some time.
When the MacOS Catalina 10 installer.15 will be recorded on a flash drive, you can use it with any supported Mac. You can immediately install MacOS Catalina 10.15 from a flash drive to your or another Mac. You can also simply restart your computer to immediately launch the installer from a flash drive. There are many options.
If you encounter a “command not found” error, most likely you entered the command incorrectly or the “Install macOS 10.15 Beta.app” file is not in the / Applications folder.
The method above is relevant for creating macOS Catalina beta installer for developers. The public beta will have a different file, so the way will be slightly different.
How to install macOS Catalina Beta from a USB stick
- Connect the installer flash drive to your Mac.
- Reboot the Mac.
- When turned on, hold down the OPTION key and continue to hold the key until the menu appears.
- From the menu, select the macOS Catalina 10.15 beta installation.
During installation, you can format the drive, select the drive to install macOS 10.15, use Time Machine, open Terminal, etc.