Summing up the year continues. GamesIndustry.biz enlisted the support of analysts, talking about achievements
What is known
In 2019, the gaming industry earned $ 148.8 billion, which is 7.2% more than in 2018.
- Mobile platforms earned $ 68.2 billion (+ 9.7%): tablets - $ 13.4 billion (+ 3.3%); smartphones - $ 54.7 billion (+ 11.4%).
- Consoles earned $ 45.3 billion (+ 7.3%)
- The PC platform earned $ 35.5 billion (+ 2.8%): browser games - $ 3.5 billion (-15.4%); downloadable and retail games - $ 31.8 billion (+ 5.2%).
In the war of retailers and digital stores, the latter won:
- In total, PCs and consoles raised $ 77.1 billion in sales in digital and retail.
- Digital sales on PCs and consoles amounted to $ 61 billion (+ 10.1%).
- Sales of “disk versions” on PCs and consoles amounted to $ 16.1 billion (+ 5.5%).
- PC platform earned $ 31 billion on digital sales (+ 6.2%)
- Consoles earned $ 30 billion on digital sales (+ 14.5%)
The most popular media game was Fortnite. So, the creation of Epic Games was mentioned in 97.735 articles. In second place is Death Stranding, which hit 46.743 material, and Apex Legends closes the top three - 42.474 articles.
Top 10 most talked about games:
- Fortnite - 97.735 articles
- Death Stranding - 46.743 articles
- Apex Legends - 42,474 articles
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - 41.881 article
- Borderlands 3 - 41.861 articles
- Cyberpunk 2077 - 39.105 articles
- Destiny 2 - 37.483 articles
- Pokemon Sword & Shield - 36.994 articles
- Overwatch 36.299 articles
- Mortal Kombat 11 - 35.301 article
The most popular games in social networks are:
- Twitter - Fortnite (41,140 posts)
- YouTube - Minecraft (102.2 billion views)
Analysts also calculated how many large companies released new intellectual property games in 2019:
- Sony - 7 games (total 10 releases in 2019)
- Microsoft - 0 (total 6 releases in 2019)
- Nintendo - 2 (total 16 releases in 2019)
- Electronic Arts - 2 (total 9 releases in 2019)
- Activision - 1 (total 4 releases in 2019)
The richest publisher of mobile games has becomeTencent, which earned $ 5.55 billion. US residents spent the most on games, who "brought" $ 15 billion to mobile platforms. At the same time, India won the downloads - 5.51 billion downloads.
Most downloaded games:
- PUBG Mobile - 268 million
- Garena Free Fire - 257 million
- Subway Surfers - 214 million
- Fun Race - 3D - 205 million
- Color Bump 3D - 199 million
The most profitable mobile games:
- Honor of Kings - $ 1.36 billion
- PUBG Mobile - $ 1.34 billion
- FateGrand Order - $ 1.10 billion
- Candy Crush Saga - $ 990 million
- Monster Strike - $ 907 million
- Android and iOS will launch Devil May Cry: Pinnacle of Combat - the classic DMC in mobile format
- Pride Blizzard: Overwatch became the "game of the year" on PornHub, ahead of Fortnite and Pokémon
- Industry Shame: 10 Worst Metacritic Games of 2019