You can easily install and run macOS Mojave beta in a virtual machine on a Mac, and the process is surprisingly simple.
In this article we will tell you what you need toinstall macOS Mojave beta in a virtual machine using free software. Everything is very simple. You should succeed even if you have never used a virtual machine before.
If you did not know, then macOS Mojave can be launchedas a program on top of your main version of Mac OS. This way you can experience macOS Mojave in a virtual machine without updating your version of the system. The virtual machine will not get access to your data, but it will have access to the Internet. We will use Parallels Desktop Lite, a free version of Parallels.
Requirements: You must have an active connection toInternet your Mac must support macOS Mojave; you need to download the free Parallels Desktop Lite program and the macOS Mojave installer (you need to be a member of the beta testing program for this). You will also need 30GB of free disk space, not including space for the macOS Mojave installer and Parallels Desktop software.
How to install macOS Mojave in the virtual machine through Parallels Lite
- Download Parallels Desktop Lite from the Mac App Store.
- Download the macOS Mojave beta installer from the Mac App Store on the Mac. When the download is complete, close the installer, and do not install Mojave.
- Launch Parallels Desktop Lite.
- On the "Installation Assistant" screen, select "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image."
- Parallels Lite will find all available macOS installers on your “Install macOS Mojave Beta.app” from the list.
- Confirm the creation of the disk image by clicking Continue.
- On the Name and Location screen, namevirtual machine. For example, give her the name "macOS Mojave". If desired, change the location of the Parallels disk image - this is a large file with the entire virtual machine. After that click “Create”.
- Wait a while until the virtual machine starts.
- Choose your language.
- On the macOS Utilities screen, select Install macOS to start the installation of Mojave in the virtual machine.
- Click Continue and agree to all of the terms and conditions of MacOS Mojave.
- Select the virtual disk to install macOS Mojave (usually Macintosh HD) and click Install.
- The installation of macOS Mojave in the Parallels virtual machine will begin.
- The virtual machine will reboot and you will see the familiar Apple logo with the installation indicator. Let the process end.
- When the installation is complete, you will see “Welcome” and macOS setup screens. Select your country and click Continue.
- Create an account for the macOS Mojave virtual machine.
- Configure other Mojave options, including theme selection.
- Once setup is complete, you will have a full version of macOS Mojave inside Parallels Desktop Lite.
- Now macOS Mojave needs to be updated through System Settings> Software Update.
That's all, now you can have fun withmacOS Mojave. You can play with new features, including dark mode, dynamic wallpapers, new programs, Finder changes, etc. This is a full version of macOS Mojave in a virtual machine.
How to close a virtual machine macOS Mojave
You can close and open the MacOS Mojave virtual machine as a program. As with any other program, open the menu and select "Exit macOS Mojave."
How to return to the virtual machine macOS Mojave
To reopen the macOS Mojave virtual machine, simply launch Parallels Desktop Lite.
This is a great way to test macOS Mojave without upgrading from its version. You can pre-check the compatibility of the update with the programs or consider in detail the new dark mode.
Any Mac compatible with Parallels Desktop Lite andmacOS Mojave is capable of installing such a virtual machine, but it will work better on more powerful models with more RAM and a faster processor. As good as the main version of the system, the virtual machine will not work, but this does not make it less useful.
Parallels is the easiest wayInstall MacOS Mojave in a virtual machine. Other methods require modification of different settings and configuration files, but you can simply use Parallels Desktop Lite. Do not forget that the virtual machine will take up a lot of memory, so do not install it if you are not going to use it. Alternatively, you can remove the Mojave virtual machine from Parallels Desktop Lite.