Want to burn the MacOS Mojave installer to a USB flash drive? Make it pretty easy if you have
Like previous versions of Mac OS, cOS Mojave 10.14 can be easily written to removable media. After that, you can format your Mac, and then easily and easily install macOS Mojave on it. Or you can install macOS Mojave on several computers without downloading the installer again each time.
In this article, we will describe how to write the macOS Mojave installer to a flash drive.
Make sure your Mac supports macOS Mojave
MacOs Mojave supports the following Macs:
MacBook Pro: mid-2012 or newer
MacBook: early-2015 or newer
MacBook Air: mid-2012 or newer
iMac: late-2012 or newer; iMac pro: late-2017 or newer
Mac Mini: late-2012 or newer
Mac Pro: later-2013 or newer (although some mid-2010 and mid-2012 models are equipped with a graphics processor with Metal support, check)
- A 16GB USB flash drive (and more) that can be formatted.
- The downloaded MacOS Mojave installer in the / Applications folder (download link from the App Store).
If everything meets your requirements, then you will need patience, network connectivity, command line and Mac skills, compatible with macOS Mojave.
If you downloaded the macOS Mojave installer and alreadyused it to update your computer, the installer file will be deleted automatically. In this case, you need to download the installer again from the Mac App Store or use another Mac.
How to burn installer MacOS Mojave on a flash drive
Note that writing a MacOS Mojave installer to a USB flash drive will erase all data from it. It is best to use the new flash drive.
- Check that the “Install macOS Mojave.app” file is in the / Applications folder.
- Connect the flash drive to your Mac and format it if necessary.
- Start the Terminal program from the / Applications / Utilities / folder and execute the following command (replacing UNTITLED with the name of your flash drive):
sudo / Applications / Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume / Volumes / UNTITLED –nointeraction && say Mojave Drive Created
4. Press “enter” and enter the administrator password, and then press “enter” again to start the recording process.
It will take some time to write the macOS Mojave installer, but you can monitor progress in the Terminal window. It will look something like this:
Erasing Disk: 0% ... 10% ... 20% ... 30% ... 100% ...
Copying to disk: 0% ... 10% ... 20% ... 30% ... 40% ... 50% ... 60% ... 70% ... 80% ... 90% ... 100% ...
Making disk bootable ...
Install media now available at / Volumes / Install MacOS Mojave
The message “Install media now available at“/ Volumes / Install MacOS Mojave” ”means that the installer record is complete and the flash drive is ready for use. You can use it to update any supported Mac, format and more.
How to install MacOS Mojave from flash drive
- Connect the flash drive with the MacOS Mojave installer to your Mac.
- Restart (or turn on) your Mac and immediately hold down the OPTION key on your keyboard.
- On the screen that appears, select “Install macOS Mojave”.
After that you will see a familiar screen with macOS utilities. Select the option to run the macOS Mojave installer.
Installing macOS Mojave takes about 45 minutes or an hour, depending on which Mac you have.
That's all. The version of MacOS Mojave contains new interesting features for which the update is definitely worth installing.