Analysts from Newzoo shared a new report in which they predicted the gaming industry a new profit record.
What is known
According to the estimates of the analytical agency, in 2019the gaming industry will earn $ 148.8 billion. This is 7.2% more than in 2018, but lower than the expected result. In a previous report, Newzoo predicted that gamers would spend $ 152.1 billion on games.
Analysts had to underestimate expectations because ofslowdowns in the market for game consoles. In the first two quarters of 2018, the segment showed an increase of + 21% and + 24%, respectively, but in 2019 over the same period, revenue grew by + 7% and + 4%. Initially, the agency expected that in 2019 the consoles will bring $ 47.9 billion, but now the expected revenue will be $ 45.3 billion, + 7.3% more compared to 2018.
Analysts say that 2018 was largely a record year for three reasons:
- The rise in popularity of "royal battles" (especially Fortnite)
- Release of several generation-defining games
- The success of the Nintendo Switch.
Nevertheless, the console market is showing the fastest growth and will overtake PC revenue.
The mobile gaming market will also continue to grow. Portable entertainment is expected to bring $ 68.2 billion in 2019, an increase of 9.7% compared to 2018. In addition, smartphone games will bring 46% of the industry’s total revenue this year. According to analysts, the active growth of mobile entertainment is to thank the markets of Japan, South Korea and North America.
Analysts believe that by 2022, sales of games should grow to $ 189.6 billion a year. Moreover, 80% fall on console and mobile games.
- THQ reveals Darksiders Genesis system requirements and 16 minutes of gameplay
- “Black Friday” launched on PlayStation Store - sale with discounts up to 90%
- Source: Capcom will release a remake of Resident Evil 3 until the end of 2020