Ivory, rocket and steak: what we will print on a 3D printer and how is it convenient

Print one house in a day or make a rocket in 60 days. All the same 3D printer will be able to repeat even on

The moon.

Print a district or a whole village

This method of building houses was tested inMexico, where buildings for an entire village were made on one 3D printer. This housing is designed specifically for low-income families. According to the organizers of the project, the structures were specially made seismic resistant and they have already survived the earthquake.

A similar project was launched in Texas, thereare about to create the world's largest printed district. The state plans to build 100 houses using a 3D printer. One building is designed for one family. Solar panels will be installed on the roof to reduce electricity consumption.

Ivory 2.0 on a 3D printer

Scientists from Austria have come up with something to replaceivory. This is an important invention, as ivory was used for a long time to create works of art, but in 1989 the sale of materials from it was banned. Accordingly, the restoration of such handicrafts was also called into question. Bones, shells or plastic were used to restore them, but this is a defective and low-quality replacement.

Therefore, the researchers created the material "digoria",which is made of synthetic resin and calcium phosphate particles. First, it is processed in a red-hot state, and then tempered in a 3D printer with ultraviolet rays already in a certain figure. After that, it is polished and the desired color is selected.

Create artificial skin for body sensors

For constant monitoring of health, you needhigh-quality sensors that will not crack and delaminate during operation. Therefore, scientists from Stanford University made artificial leather on a 3D printer, which can be stretched. You can install the necessary sensors or wires on it to monitor the patient's condition.

For 1 cm² of artificial leather there are more than 40thousand transistors: scientists announced that they are going to bring their number to 1 billion. In this case, artificial skin can be used to make a simple circuit or a wearable sensor for implantable bioelectronics.

You can make yourself lunch on a 3D printer

Redefine Meat, a startup from Israel, has created its owna unique way to print meat on a 3D printer. Today, eco-meat producers can relatively completely reproduce the taste of meat, but they do not repeat its appearance, color and external features.

According to the founder of the startup, in artificialmeat is important not only taste, but also its texture, which should be close to natural. The 3D printer used in Redefine Meat can print three different volumetric elements, which are similar to muscle, fat and blood.

Each piece of meat contains several million of these elements. Depending on their ratio and sequence, you can make a tenderloin, ribeye and different types of steaks.

Print Reusable Rocket

US company Relativity Space is going to2024 is the first time to launch a Terran R rocket into space, created on a 3D printer. The engine, which is also printed, is fueled with methane. Due to this, the design uses 100 times fewer parts compared to analogues.

Almost 95% of Terran R is printed and the remaining 5%fall on electronics, seals and some other elements. The rocket is 35 m high and 2.3 m wide. The amount of payload that can be put into orbit is 1,250 kg.

The time to create one rocket is about two months. So far, the first sample has successfully passed all ground tests.

Do everything the same, but only in space

A 3D printer is a versatile thing, so itsare going to be used during space missions. Researchers from NASA are testing a new 3D printer that can print materials from regolith under the conditions of the moon.

If the experiment is successful, the ISS crew will test the strength of the resulting material to see if it can withstand conditions outside Earth.

In the future, scientists want to organize printingall necessary items on any space bodies. This will help reduce the amount of building materials that will be sent to the Moon and Mars during planned colonization.

Each of the applications collected here3D printers sound a little fantastic, but they all solve completely different and important problems. Artificial meat will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions from livestock, ivory is used to restore crafts and, we hope, it will help reduce the number of poachers, printed houses will become inexpensive and high-quality housing for low-income families, and a 3D-printed reusable rocket will fly into space and will help scientists make new discoveries.

Read more:

Impossible to imagine: what are the largest objects in the universe and where they are

The new accelerator accelerates satellites to 8,047 km / h and sends them into space. No rocket needed

Scientists conducted an experiment and found out how our behavior on Mars will change