Physicists have calculated the range of possible masses of dark matter

The data from the new study radically narrows the range of potential masses for

particles of dark matter.Scientists at the University of Sussex used the established fact that gravity acts on dark matter in the same way it acts on the visible universe. This helped determine the lower and upper limits for the mass of dark matter.

The results show that dark matter cannot be "ultra-light" or "super-heavy" if it is not acted upon by a force that has not yet been discovered.

Scientists used the assumption thatthe only force acting on dark matter is gravity, and has calculated that dark matter particles should have a mass between 10-3 eV to 107 eV. This is a much narrower range than the usually assumed spectrum of 10-24 eV - 1019 GeV.

What makes the discovery even more significant?If it turns out that the mass of dark matter is outside the range predicted by the team at the University of Sussex, this will prove that it is subject to additional force, as well as gravity.

This research will help physicists.First, it focuses the search area for dark matter, and second, it can potentially help reveal if there is a mysterious unknown additional force in the universe.

Professor Xavier Calmet, School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, University of Sussex

The visible universe - planets and stars - is25% of the entire mass of the Universe. The remaining 75% is dark matter. This is a form of matter that does not participate in electromagnetic interaction and therefore is inaccessible to direct observation. It is about a quarter of the mass-energy of the Universe and manifests itself only in gravitational interaction.

Read more

Abortion and science: what will happen to the children who will give birth

Radars have found the last Tlingit fort in Alaska. They've been looking for him for over 100 years

A third of those who have recovered from COVID-19 return to the hospital. Every eighth - dies

Electron volt (electron volt, rarelyelectron volt; Russian designation: eV, international: eV) is a non-systemic unit of energy used in atomic and nuclear physics, in elementary particle physics and in related and related fields of science (biophysics, physical chemistry, astrophysics, etc.).

The energies in the world of elementary particles are also too small to be measured in Joules. Instead, use a unit of energy electron-volt (eV). 1 eV, by definition, is the energy that an electron will acquire in an electric field when it passes a potential difference of 1 volt. 1 eV is approximately equal to 1.6 · 10-19 J.