On the last day of the outgoing year, the editors gg publishes traditional totals by listing the gadgets with which
Trends and Main Events of 2019
In addition to the specific devices that we remembered, the outgoing 2019 was remembered by several characteristic things and events that determined the development of the industry in the past and next years.
- disappearance on the display of holes for the front camera - a tendency to increase the useful area of screenssmartphones, which we observed the last two years (it all started with the monobrow iPhone X) has reached its logical conclusion: the front cameras are hidden in a separate module that extends from the smartphone when it is activated in the interface. The first was the Vivo Apex, first shown back in March 2018. By the end of 2019, there are several such models on sale: Huawei P Smart Z, Xiaomi Mi 9T, OPPO Reno 2 and this is not a complete list. The most interesting with this design was the Vivo NEX 3, about which a little later.
- the first smartphones with a flexible screen - this is generally a real breakthrough in technology,which will take the industry to a new level. Although the prices (in full accordance with our forecast) are high and you can buy (and only by reservation - you can’t come to the store and pick it up right away) only Samsung Galaxy Fold, other manufacturers have announced similar models: Huawei Mate X, Motorola RAZR and Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha.
- the beginning of the 5G era - this year launched into commercialoperation of the first 5G network on the planet. It all started in South Korea, where such smartphones were introduced by LG and Samsung. Other manufacturers also proposed their models (Huawei showed on IFA a progressive version of the Kirin 990 processor with integrated 5G support
- further growth in contactless payments and application integration with Apple Pay and Google Pay - contactless payments in our country turned out to beso popular that they influenced the technical characteristics of mid-range and even entry-level smartphones: without NFC support, they are not popular, and manufacturers are forced to supply NFC versions to our market. This had a good impact on the development of any payment applications (retail, gas station networks) that began to support Apple Pay and Google Pay, which makes it easy and safe to add payment cards to these applications, significantly improving the user experience.
- first roll-up tv - the natural evolution of bending screensled to the announcement of the world's first television roll-up. It was LG OLED65R9, presented at CES 2019. And although there are still no commercial sales, the start has already been made, the process has started, we can only wait for the development of events - the appearance of the first sales and a gradual decrease in prices.
- explosive growth of TWS headphones - how iPad laid the foundation for a whole market segmenttablets, and the advent of AirPods ushered in a new era in the development of headphones. In 2019, TWS-earphones (by the way, True Wireless Stereo is a registered trademark of Qualcomm, a company that manufactures ARM-processors) were produced not only by A-brands, but also B-brands and even C-brands. As a result, we got a new rapidly growing and promising market segment, with prices from $ 20 to $ 200 (and even higher, if we take advanced models of A-brands, with noise reduction). And this is just the beginning.
- growth of the robot vacuum cleaner market in Ukraine - another segment of the electronics that was inin its infancy, made a leap. Xiaomi was the locomotive (with serious marketing support from the Allo chain of stores, which opened Mi Store branded stores). Confidence in the brand, developed over several years, did its job - Ukrainians began to buy these devices that can make life more comfortable, reducing the time that you need to spend on not the most pleasant duties
- smoking gadgets have become a mass phenomenon - modern technology changes habitsconsumers, including those that are censured in society, such as smoking. Billions of dollars spent by tobacco companies have done their job - to buy devices that offer “safer, but still unhealthy” smoking, which they themselves serve as a non-smoking process (from the consumer’s point of view, this still remains smoking, and it doesn’t matter that there is no open flame and the associated emissions of harmful substances) is possible everywhere. Although airlines have naturally banned the use of such devices in the cabin, the appearance of “friendly” and loyal to such habits restaurants and cafes affects the popularity of these electronic devices (at least among residents of large cities, where, in fact, most population of the country).
Gadget of the Year 2019
Traditionally, our list of the best devices of the yearconsists of three parts: gadgets of the year - devices that impressed us due to their technological capabilities. The second award is the design of the year - with this award we celebrate devices whose design impresses and / or creates new entities and usage scenarios, as well as moving the industry forward. The results of the year are completed by our unique Iron Fox antipremity - the strangest devices of the outgoing year that surprised us unpleasantly.
Samsung Galaxy Fold
Every year for over a decade, Samsung's flagship smartphone has always received an editorial award gg "Gadget of the year." But in 2019, Samsung came up with a smartphone that surpasses the capabilities of current flagships - the Galaxy S10 and Galaxy Note 10. This is the Samsung Galaxy Fold, which opens a new page of technologies - smartphones with a folding screen. In terms of size and ease of use, this form factor resembles the legendary Nokia Communicator smartphones, but gives the experience of using a tablet and a smartphone at the same time. Multi-window mode, a separate screen for working with the phone when folded and our likes. Read the Samsung Galaxy Fold review on our website.
Huawei P30 Pro
The smartphone that opened the night era to us this yearshooting. For the first time, the long Huawei race for Samsung was a success - the P30 Pro camera surpassed the capabilities of its eternal competitor due to two factors: 10x zoom and shooting capabilities in complete (!) Darkness. Along the way, laying a new genre in mobile photography - shooting the moon in the night sky. Read about the capabilities of the smartphone in our review of the Huawei P30 Pro and the material about shooting in Paris at night, all of which are taken on the camera of this smartphone.
Asus ZenBook Duo Pro
Revision gg always appreciated Asus for its penchant forexperiments. And this year, its ambiguous and technologically advanced ZenBook Duo Pro laptop achieved its goal - the company turned out to be an extremely interesting laptop with two displays (our regular readers remember that the editors were always skeptical about the idea of laptops with two touch screens, but in this case we are talking not about technology for the sake of technology, but about new features for the user). You can read more about the Asus ZenBook Duo Pro in our editorial.
iRobot Roomba S9 +
For the first time on our list was a robot vacuum cleaner. Smart, autonomously working technology becomes the same part of our life as computers, and then smartphones, became. In the near future, in our homes there will be more and more robotic equipment that will take on part of our cares for cleaning, cooking and creating comfort. The iRobot Roomba S9 + robot vacuum cleaner is interesting in that it combines all the advanced technologies in the industry. Thanks to its garbage collection container, it is able to maintain cleanliness in the house without human intervention for weeks and months. And also this model is able to interact and work together with the robot-polisher iRobot Braava Jet m6. Read our review of how this works in practice. Owners of large apartments and houses will be delighted with this couple.
5th Generation Apple Watch
This year, by far, the 5th generation Apple Watch is definitely the best smartwatch. Editors gg appreciated their impeccable design, best implementationapplications, especially with an emphasis on exercise and tracking results, a convenient implementation of Always On screen and support for contactless payments. This is not a complete list of their capabilities. You can read about all of them in our review of Apple Watch 5.
Xiaomi Mi Band 4
The reference and most massive of fitness bracelets inthis year got a color display, which immediately affected its popularity. Today, a fitness bracelet is the most desired and universal gift; in its price category, it simply has no equal. With the advent of displays in fitness bracelets, they only began to replace wrist watches with an alarm clock, but they also allowed to see incoming messages and notifications without reaching for a smartphone. And they lose to smart watches only in one thing - the lack of additional applications that the user can install. Read our review of Xiaomi Mi Band 4 to understand why we consider it worthy of an editorial award.
DJI Mavic Mini
Although drones have not yet become mass gadgets (althoughsuch as the TV that every family has), they certainly opened to humanity several new worlds at once: the possibilities of piloting with a flying device and aerial photography. DJI, the undisputed technological leader in this industry, launched the Mavic Mini low-cost drone model in 2019, which can make all of these pleasures more affordable. At least with fewer compromises that you had to make when buying a drone for less than $ 1,000.
Design of the Year 2019
This year, the best gadgets with outstanding design, we consider the following:
The 2019 Motorola RAZR is definitely notis the most technologically advanced smartphone among the models with a folding display. But it definitely beats everyone with its design. Of course, this is a very nostalgic model for the entire industry, remembering the events of 15 years ago and the effect of the exploding bomb produced by the Motorola RAZR cot. And although the output of this smartphone is delayed, and in our area this will be a rare guest anyway, we cannot but mention the design of this device.
It is not easy for Chinese manufacturerswin a place in the sun on the smartphone market. Therefore, they are forced to try more than others and constantly offer customers something new and unusual. Thanks to the NEX3 smartphone, Vivo was the first to enter the market with a smartphone screen called Waterfall, a feature of which is the maximum coverage of the usable area of the display right up to the curved edges that are used in the interface and control of the smartphone. Read our Vivo NEX3 review to pay tribute to the designers of this unusual and iconic model for the market, just like us.
OPPO Reno 2
This year, a simple and elegant designthe solution allowed OPPO to highlight its Reno 2 model among competitors - smartphones with a retractable front camera. In this smartphone, it is implemented in the form of a triangle, which looks unusual and more reliable than similar mechanisms of competitors. And such a design has already generated a lot of associations - with shark fin, a piece of pizza and so on. Read the review of OPPO Reno 2 on our website.
Dell OptiPlex 7070 Ultra
All-in-one computers aren’t the industry at all.where something significant, interesting and noticeable happens. Nevertheless, this year Dell managed to make, if not a breakthrough, then present an interesting solution to a modular desktop computer in a candybar form factor. We appreciated the beauty of design and engineering, capable of creating something new where no one thought of doing something new. This is a modular computer that can be upgraded over time and update both the computer and the monitor. You can connect a second monitor to a second stand or replace the stand with a bracket, not to mention the possibility of upgrading the electronics.
Iron Arctic Fox 2019
Each year, we also announce our unparalleled antipremium, the Iron Fox. We reward it with the devices that we want to see. This year the list is frankly small.
Nokia 9 PureView
With the flagship smartphone Nokia 9 PureView in thisHMD didn’t work out that year. A smartphone with 5 cameras, which was supposed to be the pride of the manufacturer, became its biggest failure. The developers did not manage to overcome all the shortcomings of the software, which did not allow to reveal the potential of this model (as a result, our review of this smartphone did not come out - there was definitely nothing to praise it, and devoting most of the review to criticism would be a waste of time for our readers). Therefore, his place in the history of 2019 is here. Perhaps next year it will turn out better.
Xiaomi Mi Mix Alpha
Apple Pro Stand
The outgoing 2019 will be remembered for another loud storywith $ 1000 Pro Stand for Apple Pro Display XDR professional monitor. She also managed to become a joke in the presentation of MSI. We, of course, understand that professional equipment, firstly, cannot be cheap. Secondly, designers who use Apple technology in their work are extremely happy with it (and appreciate it, including for the design), and they buy it, mainly not for their money, but for the employer's days. But still - stand for $ 1,000 ?! Seriously?
That’s all with us. Stay with us in the coming new year and may the Force be with you!