A person bitten by a venomous snake goes to the hospital, as a rule, not only for the bite, but also for
But when experts noticed that after the bites of non-venomous snakes, the infection does not join, they decided to check whether bacteria live in snake venoms.
Previously, it was thought that bacteria could not live inpoisons, because these substances have a very high toxicity to microorganisms. For research, we took the poison of the extremely poisonous Australian taipan and the spitting black-necked cobra, capable of spitting poison at a distance of up to three meters, and two spiders.
It turned out that a simple intestinal bacterium Enterococcus faecalis lives in the venoms of both snakes and spiders - a component of the normal human intestinal flora, which is even used as a probiotic.
It is noted that scientists have identified two differentstrain, that is, adaptation to life in snake venom occurred at least twice - in two independent genetic lines of microorganisms. Also on the fangs and directly in the poison of the black-necked cobra, different compositions of bacteria were found - microorganisms did not get into the poison during the bite.
Scientists say the new data is forcingtake a closer look at the problem of treating snake bites - not only because of the poison, but also because of the threat of bacterial complications. The fact is that Enterococcus faecalis, with a weakened immune system, turns from an ordinary bacterium into a dangerous pathogen, infection with which carries the risk of endocarditis and meningitis.