American tech giant IBM has published an article about what they have managed to make a chip on
How is this useful?
- In its publication, the company highlighted several key areas where the new chips will surpass 7nm counterparts:
- Extending the battery life of smartphones by 4 times;
- Reducing electricity consumption by data centers;
- A dramatic increase in the performance of laptops and notebooks: the new chips will provide 45% better performance and 75% less power consumption;
- Contribution to autonomous self-driving vehicles: chips will accelerate object recognition and computing needed on the road
In general, the density of transistors isthe only thing that affects energy consumption and, most importantly, the performance of modern electronic devices. Moore's Law doubles the density every 24 months, but with the advancement of semiconductor technology, it becomes increasingly difficult to fit transistors on a chip, and the next breakthrough in this area promises something completely new in the field of processor design.</ p>