If you were hoping that after numerous scandals Electronic Arts would come to its senses and reduce the number
Income from Ultimate Team, for example in FIFA, comes fromsales of sets of loot box cards with football players. Many Western politicians see elements of gambling in such mechanics. The mode itself is featured in most EA Sports games and is one of Electronic Arts' most important sources of revenue, according to the company's 10-K report. Moreover, profits are growing every year, despite scandals and bans on loot boxes in some countries. The statistics look like this:
- In 2017, the Ultimate Team brought 16% of annual revenue.
- In 2018, the Ultimate Team brought 21% of annual revenue.
- In 2019, the Ultimate Team brought 28% of annual revenue.
FIFA itself generated only 14% of net revenue in the last financial year. Let's remember that EA's revenue for the last fiscal year was $4.95 billion, and net profit was $1.02 billion.
For those who want to know more:
- Electronic Arts fell $ 660 million due to the absence of Juventus in FIFA 20
- Overwatch earned a billion from donations, and Rainbow Six Siege broke the activity record
- Summer sale at PlayStation Store: what and how much you can buy
- Prepare for Ragnarok: Ubisoft will add Viking cultist Jormungandr to For Honor
- The Sigma tank is already available in Overwatch, and Blizzard has revealed the hero's abilities