If you are interested in the owners of the sites and the security of your data coming through the sites, then it will be useful
- What does a digital certificate mean?
- What does a digital certificate include?
- How to view a digital certificate in Safari
- How to view a digital certificate in Firefox
- Certificate of the current site
- All certificates
- How to view a digital certificate in Chrome
What does a digital certificate mean?
If you opened this article, then you already know what a digital certificate is. However, many do not know about this term. For them we will try to explain.
If the site has a genuine certificate, thismeans the web address is indeed officially owned by this organization. By making sure that the site encrypts your information and that it has a genuine certificate, you protect yourself from malicious sites and the leak of personal information.
There are two ways to quickly find out if a site has a certificate:
- In the address bar next to the link, an icon in the form of a closed lock is displayed.
- The site address starts with "https:", not "http:".
What does a digital certificate include?
In the digital certificate you can find out the following details:
Who issued the certificate: This is a company that has been checking the site. Among the most popular are VeriSign, Thawte, DigiCert and GlobalSign.
To whom the certificate was issued: This is the owner of the site or the organization to which it belongs.
Certificate Expiration Date: Most certificates are issued for one or two years, but some may take longer. If the deadline has expired, do not trust the site.
How to view a digital certificate in Safari
Safari makes it easy to view the certificate of the currently open site.
one) Click padlock icon before the site link (or after) in the address bar.
2) In the window that appears, click Show certificate. In some cases, the certificate will open automatically.
3) You will see information about the digital certificate of the site.
How to view a digital certificate in Firefox
You can quickly view the certificate of the current open site, as well as the certificates of all saved sites.
Certificate of the current site
one) Click padlock icon before the link in the address bar.
2) A window will appear with the inscription Secure connection. Click on the arrow next to the caption.
3) You will see who issued the certificate. Click Read more.
four) A window opens with details on which you can click the button View certificate, which will open a new tab with information about the site’s certificate.
one) Click menu button in the upper right corner of the Firefox window and select Settings.
2) On the left, select the tab Privacy and protection and scroll down to the section Protection.
3) Press the button View certificates.
four) A window opens with all the certificates saved in Firefox.
five) Double-click any certificate to open it in a new tab.
How to view a digital certificate in Chrome
You can view the certificate of the current site in Chrome in two simple ways.
one) Click padlock icon before the site link in the address bar.
2) In the window that appears, click Certificate.
3) Here will be details about the digital certificate of the site.
You can also use the developer menu.
one) In the upper right corner of the window, click on menu icon as three dots and then select Additional tools > Developer Tools.
2) In the right part of the window, select the tab Security and click on it View Certificate.
This will open the same window with the information as in the first method.
If you want to secure yourself online, regularly check site certificates. It takes less than a minute of time, but you will be confident in your safety.